e-passport Kenya: As of September 1 2017, Kenyan passports became ePassports. This means that now the passport will come with a chip that has information such as biometrics and a digital photo.
Below is the full process on how to apply for the e-passport Kenya:
When applying for a Kenyan passport, you’ll pay using mobile money, Credit, Debit Cards and online banking from local banks. It should take at least 10 working days to get your first passport once your form has been physically submitted at the Immigration offices.
For all other application types, it should take at least 5 working days. It can take longer if more information is needed or your application hasn’t been filled out correctly.
Steps of Application
- Register on www.ecitizen.go.ke
- Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and or Department of immigration services and click on the passport application form.
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form and three application receipts.
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices.( Nyayo house, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
During the Submission you will need the following
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommender’s ID Card copy. A Recommender can be either of the following
- Lawyers –
- Religious leaders
- Civil servant
But NOT a relative.
- Consent letter for minors.
- Old passport for replacement.
- Parents National ID cards and copy.
- For applicants who are below the age of eighteen years, the parents or legal guardian’s written consent must be provided.
- For applicants who are adopted, the original adoption certificate, clearance letter from the children’s department, and or, the Court ruling or award.
- Applicants MUST appear in person for digital photo and biometrics capture.
|PASSPORT TYPE||Fee (Kshs)|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||Kshs. 4,550|
|48 pages Ordinary “B” Series||Kshs. 6,050|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||Kshs. 7,550|
|East African Passport||Kshs. 990|
|Diplomatic passport (48 page)||Kshs 7,550|
|Mutilated Passport||Kshs 10,050|
|Lost Passport||Kshs 12,050|
For questions, call :
- Nairobi Office: +254 772 246 669
- Mombasa Office: +254 708 206 206
You can alternatively contact them via Twitter @ImmigrationDept for swift responses.