The inaugural SME Awards gala event will take place this evening at the Laico Regency in Nairobi’s Central Business District (CBD). The gala event’s chief guest will be Richard Ngatia, the chairman of the Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industrialization (KNCCI).
The Bizna Annual SME Awards 2019 will be aiming to recognise and celebrate small and medium-sized enterprises based on their performance, profitability, quality of products and customer relations. The Awards is an initiative of Bizna Kenya, a leading marketing and business support provider for small businesses in Kenya.
Nominees who will be battling for the top honours are drawn from various sectors of the economy including agribusiness, transport, real estate, tourism and hospitality, agribusiness, manufacturing, digital and social media, education and entertainment.
Mr. Ngatia, the event’s chief guest, will be coming in as the new KNCCI chairman, having been confirmed this month. Prior to his confirmation as KNCCI chair, Ngatia served as the vice chairman for the chamber. He is also the former chair for the Nairobi chamber. Mr. Ngatia succeeded Mr. Kiprono Kittony, who has served two terms and a total of seven years at the chamber.
Mr. Ngatia has committed to progress the work of his predecessor of expanding markets and improving business environment. “We need to look at business around our borders and at the country level,” he says.
He has pointed to quick inspection of imports and reduction of tariffs as his key commitments. Mr. Ngatia has also said that his focus will also be to ensure SMEs thrive, a motive that is in line with the the Bizna SME Awards’ theme and focus. “My priority projects will be centered around the SME’s as I continue strengthening other sectors within the chamber,” says Ngatia. “One of my projects will be to create an SME Industrial Park and Common facility center. I will also create an SME academy and Dual Vocational Institute not forgetting that we will have a project led by the chamber to enhance the competitiveness of women-led Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises through financing, Innovation and Entrepreneurship.”
Below is the full list of nominees who will be battling it out for the awards this evening:
- Agribusiness venture:IRRI – HUB KE, Kenarava, OxfarmAg
- Tourism &Hospitality:Africa Outdoor, Expeditions Maasai Safaris, Exquisite Events by You
- Transport and Logistics:Modest Collections, Ahadi Movers, Livitech Auto Spares Ltd
- Creative Economy:Sokobrand, Global Strategies Developers Ltd, Artrix Theatre Ltd
- Professional Services Provider:Adec Services EPZ Ltd, Tazz Advisors Limited, Twinkle Pharmacy Ltd
- Manufacturing:Kyle and Ibrahims Ltd, Dan Rays Creations, Nyagah Mechanical Engineering
- Real Estate: Transport and Logistics: Sahif Real Estate Ltd, Username Investments Ltd, Sahihi Interior Builders
- Most Promising SME of the Year:SasaHost (web solutions provider), RoyalTrendia (digital and media services), and Atlanta Property Developer (real estate).
- SME of the Year:Twinkle Pharmacy, Username Investments, Sahihi Interior Builders, Expeditions Maasai Safaris.
If you wish to attend the gala event, you can obtain tickets by visiting the Awards portal: https://smeawards.co.ke/tickets/