Parastatal salary scales in Kenya: The Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) grading and pay structure for State corporation chiefs requires that the highest paid chief executive officer is paid not more than Sh. 1 million.
Under the structure, which uses the Paterson grading system, CEOs are graded between E, which is the highest grade, and D1, the lowest, while state corporations are categorized as service and regulatory, and commercial.
The lowest paid CEO in service and regulatory State corporations earns Sh. 253,333 while the highest takes home Sh. 812,970 per month.
This sector comprises 98 parastatals that offer services or are regulators in the market. They include the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD), which offers a service, and the Retirement Benefits Authority, a regulator. Some service sector institutions charge a fee for their services, while others depend purely on the National Treasury for funding.
Under the 49 commercial state corporations such as Kenya Power and KenGen, the highest paid CEO is required to earn Sh. 903,300 while the lowest takes home Sh. 281,481 per month.
The total number of jobs evaluated in service and regulatory corporations are 9,843 while those in commercial are 6,270.
Some of the best paying parastatals in the overall are:
- List of functional parastatals in Kenya 2018
- Kenya Electricity Transmission Company (KETRACO)
- Kenya Pipeline Company (KPL)
- Kenya Leather Development Council Board
- Geothermal Development Company
- New Kenya Co-operative Creameries
- National Drought Management Authority
- National Cereals and Produce Board
- National Bureau of Statistics.
- Consolidated Bank
- Board of Directors Kenya Meat Commission.
- Anti-female Genital Mutilation Board
- Kerio Valley Development Authority
- Lake Basin Development Authority
- National Water Conservation and Pipeline Corporation
- Kenya Medical Training College Board Tana and
- Athi River Development Authority
- Kenya Broadcast Corporation
- Water Resource Management Authority
- National Hospital Insurance Fund Board
- Kenya Marine Authority
- Kenya Information and Communication Board of Directors
- LAPSSET Corridor Development Authority
- Postal Corporation of Kenya National Sports Fund Board of Trustees