When applying for a passport in Kenya, many people get conned out of their money by crooks pretending to have the influence and capacity to speed up the process.
This happens because, quite often, people rush to get a passport just a few weeks before their travel dates. You can avoid this by submitting your application at least three months ahead of your planned date of travel.
As of September 1 2017, Kenyan passports became ePassports. This means they now come with a chip that has information such as biometrics and a digital photo.
How to apply for passport in Kenya
Below is the step-by-step process of applying for a passport in Kenya.
When applying for a passport in Kenya, you’ll pay using mobile money, Credit, Debit Cards and online banking from local banks. It should take at least 10 working days to get your first passport once your form has been physically submitted at the Immigration offices.
For all other application types, it should take at least 5 working days. It can take longer if more information is needed or your application hasn’t been filled out correctly.
It is therefore important to learn how to apply for a passport.
Steps of Application
Here’s how to get passport in Kenya:
- Register on eCitizen (www.ecitizen.go.ke).
- Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and or Department of immigration services and click on the passport application form.
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form and three application receipts.
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices.(Nyayo house, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
During the submission you will need the following
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommender’s ID Card copy.
- Consent letter for minors.
- Old passport for replacement.
- Parents National ID cards and copy.
RELATED: How to Check Passport Status Online
How to get a Kenyan passport: Key takeaways
- For applicants who are below the age of eighteen years, the parents or legal guardian’s written consent must be provided.
- For applicants who are adopted, the original adoption certificate, clearance letter from the children’s department, and or, the Court ruling or award.
- Applicants MUST appear in person for digital photo and biometrics capture.
How much will I pay for a Kenyan passport?
Here are the applicable passport fees.
|PASSPORT TYPE||Fee (Kshs)|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||Kshs. 4,550|
|48 pages Ordinary “B” Series||Kshs. 6,050|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||Kshs. 7,550|
|East African Passport||Kshs. 990|
|Diplomatic passport (48 page)||Kshs 7,550|
|Mutilated Passport||Kshs 10,050|
|Lost Passport||Kshs 12,050|
Did you love the story? You can also share YOUR story and get it published on Bizna Click here to get started.