How to register on NHIF: Do you know how you can register on the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) in Kenya? This is the process:
NHIF registers all eligible members from both the formal and informal sector. For those in the formal sector, it is compulsory to be a member. For those in the informal sector and retirees, membership is open and voluntary. To register with NHIF as a member, fill in the Members Form. To register as an employer or organized group, fill in the Employers Form.
Who is eligible?
Who is a *resident in Kenya?
Has attained the age of 18 years. (No age limit after the age of 18 years)
Whose total income from salaried or self-employment is more than Kshs. 1,000 per month or Kshs. 12,000 per year.
Drawing an income from Kenya
Working under contract or casual terms of employment
It also includes voluntary contributors
* This includes foreign visitors permitted to work or study in Kenya
What do I need to bring?
1. Copy of National I.D (including spouse if applicable)
2. Copy of Employer Appointment/Introduction Letter (excludes self employed/voluntary contributors)
3. Coloured passport photo (including spouse & dependants if applicable)
4. Original & copies of Birth Certificate(s) for dependants
1. Copies of passport, alien certificate or work permit (including spouse if applicable)
2. Coloured passport photo (including spouse & dependants if applicable)
1. Copy of passport
2. Coloured passport photo
3. Submit the required amount under the Voluntary/Self Employed Category
Where can I drop off my form?
At any of our branches located country wide.
1.Certificate of Registration
Upon admission in hospital an NHIF member is accorded services and the hospital makes a claim to the Fund for reimbursement.
- An in-patient cover for the contributor, declared spouse and children
Provides comprehensive medical cover in majority of over 400 accredited Government facilities, Mission health providers and some private health providers across the country
Provides in-patient services in private and high cost hospitals on a co-payment basis
Comprehensive maternity and CS (Caesarian) package in government hospitals, majority of mission and some private hospitals
Dialysis at Ksh 2,500 per session at the following medical facilities:-
– Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi
– Moi Teaching & Referral Hospital, Eldoret
– Provincial General Hospital Kisumu
– Rift Valley Provincial General Hospital, Nakuru
– Coast General Hospital, Mombasa
– Siloam Hospital, Kericho
– Mediheal Hospital & Fertility Centre
– Muranga District Hospital, Muranga
– Thika Level 5 Hospital, Thika
– P.C.E.A Hospital, Kikuyu
– Consolata Hospital, Nyeri
– Tawfiq Hospital, Malindi
– Africare Limited
– Kakamega Country General Hospital
- Family planning’ Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation
- NHIF does not exclude any disease.
Formal sector employees’ contributions are deducted and remitted to the Fund by their employers. This is done by Cheque or through E-banking.
For members under the voluntary category, they pay Kshs.500 per month (Kshs.6000 per annum). For those in formal employment, contributions are made as per their income.