Lower secondary in Kenya: There will be no final exam for grade six pupils looking to join lower secondary. This has been announced by president Uhuru Kenyatta. “Recommendations from the new curriculum task force recommended that the learners in Grade Six should not sit for the national examinations allowing a 100 percent transition to lower secondary,” he said.
The president announced this while speaking at the Ministry of Education national conference at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC) in Nairobi on Friday. He also announced that Grade Seven, Eight and Nine will be domiciled in secondary schools.
Earlier on, there was drama after officials of the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) were barred from accessing the conference over lack of accreditation.
According to reports, the officials were blocked from accessing the forum over what education ministry officials said was lack of accreditation.
The Daily Nation reported that “the KNUT officials were asked to get badges for the forum from the Ministry of Interior.” Knut Secretary General Wilson Sossion told the Nation Friday that after checking on the delegates list, their names were missing. ‘We are not on the list and there is no badge so we can’t attend!’ Sossion said. The Kenya Post Primary Education Teachers (Kuppet) are in attendance with its Secretary General Akelo Misori leading his team.”
The Nation also reported that on Wednesday, Kuppet had asked the Ministry to involve them in the ongoing education reforms on curriculum. “The conference has brought together more than 2,000 delegates from across the country and international organisations. It is expected to provide an academicians, religious leaders, and opinion and policy makers an opportunity to discuss quality and the relevance of education the country is giving its children. Knut has been opposed to the implementation of the new competence based curriculum (CBC) citing teacher unpreparedness and inadequate infrastructure to support it.”