Most profitable small businesses in Kenya: Intending to start a business venture soon? here’s a breakdown of the amount of capital you’ll need to start each of the following businesses in different counties in Kenya:
1. Gym and Fitness Center
Total cost depends on the location and type of machines bought. It is ideal to start this type of business in an upcoming middle-income residential area targeting the working class.
- Low income areas – Ksh300,000
- Middle income areas – Ksh500,000 to Ksh1,000,000
- High income areas – Ksh1,000,000 to Ksh 3,000,000
You can start with a small gym and continuously plough-back the profit to scale-it up.
2. Small Butchery
The cost of starting a butchery in Kenya depends with location and size of the shop. It is advisable to have your butchery located in a place with high human traffic e.g. near a bus terminus or a busy street.
- Low Income Areas – Ksh100,000
- Middle Income Areas – Ksh200,000 – Ksh500,000
- High Income Areas – Ksh500,000 – Ksh1,000,000
3. Selling Of Second Hand Clothes
Depends with the size of the business. You can leverage on the power of social media to drive-up sales for your merchandise. You can shop for cheap second-hand clothes in major markets such as Gikomba and Muthurwa markets in Nairobi.
- Micro-sized Business – Ksh5,000 – Ksh50,000
- Small Business – Ksh50,000 – Ksh250,000
- Average-Sized business – Ksh250,000 – Ksh1,000,000
4. Small Grocery Shop
The cost of starting a small grocery shop depends with the location, size of shop and type of products being sold. Those in Nairobi can shop for cheap supplies in: Githurai 45 and Wakulima Markets.
- Small Shop – Ksh50,000
- Medium Shop – Ksh200,000
- Large Shop – Ksh500,000 to Ksh1,000,000
5. Mobile Money Transfer Business
We are talking about M-Pesa, Airtel Money and other forms of agency banking. Cost may vary from one provider to another but on average these are the charges.
- Small Shop – Ksh200,000
- Medium Shop – Ksh500,000
- Large Shop – Ksh1,000,000 upwards
6. Wines & Spirits Pub
Depending on the size and location of your choice, the cost of starting a small wines and spirits pub may vary in the range of:
- Small Pub – Ksh150,000 to Ksh350,000
- Medium Sized – Ksh500,000
- Large Sized – Ksh1,000,000 to Ksh2,000,000
7. Professional Cleaning Business Company
This is a company that cleans and organizes homes and offices for its clients at a fee. You use high-grade cleaning agents and the latest cleaning techniques to keep your clients’ environment spotless clean. Cleaning business has great potential and you can never go wrong by trying it out.
- Small Business – Ksh200,000
- Average Business – Ksh1,000,000 – Ksh3,000,000