Coronavirus Kenya: Cases of coronavirus in Kenya have risen past the 1,000 mark. This is after 61 more positive cases were confirmed on Wednesday. According to the cabinet secretary for Health Mutahi Kagwe, out of the new cases, only 2 cases were foreign. Kenya now has 1,029 cases.
A total of 30 are from Mombasa, while 26 are from Nairobi. Three of the new cases are in Kajiado.
Following the confirmation of the cases, the minister ordered that the cessation of movement in and out of Eastleigh in Nairobi and Old Town in Mombasa had been extended until June 6. He further said that during this period, malls and eateries will remain closed.
“The restaurants and malls are to remain closed until then,” Kagwe said during his briefing on Wednesdays. Kagwe added that the extension was because the areas were still a challenge in regards to cases surging. “Mombasa continues to be a challenge. Thirty of the 66 cases reported today are from Mombasa,” Kagwe said.
The government has been issuing measures to curb the spread of the deadly virus. All public transport users are required to wear face masks when travelling. Those who die from the disease be buried within 24 hours.
The government has also banned any form of public gathering, including churches and mosques. Funerals have been limited to immediate family members.
Kagwe also stressed the importance of strict hygiene in curbing spread of the pandemic.
Kagwe has further warned Kenyans against handling of cash. He said many Kenyans were not heeding advice of using mobile money.
The government has also suspended all international flights, and ordered all public transport vehicles to adhere to the laid out rules. Currently, 14 seater matatus are required to ferry eight passengers. The national government has hinted at the possibility of a total national lock down should the number of Covid-19 escalate. Coronavirus Kenya.