There can be few things as rewarding as making a tangible difference in shaping the lives of young people and inspiring and mentoring them to become the best they can be. This is the spirit of a teacher. Teachers arguably have the biggest influence on a child’s life.
They can be a role model and inspirations to go further and dream bigger. They hold students accountable for their successes and failures and good teachers won’t let their talented students get away with not living up to their full potential.
While teaching is a tough job, many people have a passion for it. As such many young people are enrolling in higher learning institutions to pursue education with enthusiasm. It is, however, not a wake-up-go-to-do job, but it’s a job that has its own requirements. The government of Kenya through the Ministry of Education lowered these requirements to give more individuals an opportunity to chase their dreams.
As such, students who scored D+ can join Teachers’ Training Colleges(TTCs). Those seeking to study diploma in Education must have a C plain or C- in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE). This is down from the previous C+. Meanwhile, those seeking a certificate in education (popularly known as P1) will need a D+, down from a C (plain).
The requirements are as below:
Entry Requirement For The Diploma In Primary Teachers Education (DPTE)
- Diploma in Primary Teacher Education (Grade 1-6) entry grade is KCSE Mean Grade of C (Plain) or its equivalent with a C (Plain) in the following cluster subjects. (English and Kiswahili; Mathematics; Humanities (Any); Sciences (Any).)
- For candidates with disabilities, the minimum entry grade is C- (Minus) and C- (Minus) in the cluster of subjects stated above.
- The duration of the course shall be three (3) years in accordance with the approved Curriculum designs.
- The Trainees shall be required to cover the recommended hours for coursework and required hours for practicum and pass the assessments as directed by Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC).
- The Teacher Trainee shall undertake three months micro-teaching course which is a pre-requisite for teaching practice
Entry Requirements For The Diploma In Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE)
- The academic entry requirements for the Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE) shall be C (Plain) Mean Grade in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (KCSE) or its equivalent (as equated by the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC).
- Candidates with disabilities shall be admitted with C-(Minus) grade in KCSE or equivalent.
- The duration for the Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE) Shall be three years.
- The trainee shall undertake a micro-teaching of three months which shall be a pre-requisite for the Teaching practicum of two school terms
- To be awarded the Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education, the candidate must complete the required hours for coursework and pass the stipulated assessments as directed by the Kenya National Examination Council (KCSE).
- Candidates shall be required to produce evidence of adherence to positive moral values and good behaviours such as police clearance.