The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) has announced some changes in the process of paying back student loans.
In a notice, HELB said that all payments would be channeled to the e-Citizen platform in line with President Ruto’s directive to have all government services under a single platform.
“HELB has seamlessly integrated with the eCitizen Payment Payment platform. Payments to HELB will henceforth be channeled through the HELB systems,” the notice read in part.
In the latest changes, users intending to repay the loans will be allowed to do so in four ways, including Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) code, HELB mobile application, loanee self-service portal, and employers portal.
The procedure for the four payment options is as follows
- Users will be required to dial *642# to register or log in
- Choose the loan repayment, select mobile money provider, and enter the amount and key in your PIN
- Following the payment, you will receive an SMS notification from eCitizen.
HELB Mobile Application
- Download the mobile application from the Play Store and login if you have an account or register to create an account
- Select the pay loan option
- Confirm phone number and amount to pay
- Key in your PIN upon prompt. You will receive an SMS notification from eCitizen.
Loanee Self-Service Portal
- Log on to the eCitizen platform and access the self-service option through the HELB menu.
- Select Loan repayment and make payment option.
- Fill in the amount to pay and click pay
- You will receive a notification to confirm. Once confirmed, the payment options will be displayed.
- Select your preferred payment option and follow the prompts.
- Once the payment has been made, click Complete.
The HELB Employer portal is the entry point for employers:
- Log on to the HELB portal: helb.co.ke
- Upload Remittance List
- Verify all the details entered and click the confirm button.
- Upon confirmation, print the e-slip
- Click on payments on the Menu.
- Choose the remittance record you want to pay for, then click on the ‘Make Payment’ button.
- Once the payment is completed, the record will be automatically updated.
- On the menu, click on statements to view updated and paid remittances.
- Generate the receipt.