Service officers from the National Youth Service have started collecting Kenya Power meter and connection details across the country. This follows a partnership between Kenya Power and the NYS. In July 2021, the Employment and Labour Relations Court gave the green light to Kenya Power’s meter reading deal with the NYS.
The partnership between Kenya Power and NYS is aimed at cleaning up the Facilities Database (FDB) digital platform data. The clean up process will help the company capture, analyse, manage and store data on its transmission and distribution facilities by identify the meters in each Kenyan household and business premises to pinpoint where theft takes place. “ The objective of this exercise is to create visibility of the network on the FDB digital platform for efficient and effective service delivery,” Kenya Power managing director and chief executive officer Bernard Ngugi said.
The exercise has been funded by the World Bank under the Kenya Electricity Management Programme (KEMP) at a cost of Sh. 225 million. It will be covered by 770 NYS officers, 700 servicemen and women, and 70 supervisors.
Oyier: Why paying influencers like Obare, Jalas to market you is a bad idea
Kenya Power has so far digitized 70 per cent of its network comprising 83 transmission substations, 295 primary substations, 73,486 secondary substations (transformers)and 77,990.69 kms of high and medium voltage lines. The NYS partnership will now cover the remaining 30 per cent which will include the digitization of 166,623.84 kms of low voltage lines, and over 8.2 million customer meters.
“We started this process because of the pain we have gone through concerning the system losses, which have taken a lot of our resources. We have paid a lot of money to consultants to tell us what our losses are and have now said that is enough,” said Ngugi. “We do not need research for that… (what) we need is to know where our meters are. We have data on transformers but we do not have data on meters and associating them with the transformers.”